Bowls is a game favoured by many people worldwide. This game can either be played indoors or outdoors. If you are new to this game, then a few good tips can surely help to improve your chances at winning.
Main Objective and Types of Bowls
The basic objective of the game is to get your bowls as close to the small white ball known as ‘jack’. It is played with opponents. You can have two teams and choose a trendy bowls clothing to represent your team.
When it comes to searching for bowls clothing, there are number of online stores that offer wide range of options to you. Choose the one that best represents the spirit of your team. You could also get them customised depending on your needs.The bowls game can be played in the following ways:
• Crown Green Bowls
• Table Bowls
• Lawn Bowls
Understanding Lawn Bowl
Interested in lawn bowl, but not sure how to go about this? Well, you are not the only one. There are many others like you sailing in the same boat. First and foremost, you need to understand the game formats. Basically in lawn bowls there are 3 game formats namely:
• Time – where the game is played for a pre determined time. The team with most pints wins the game
• Shots – here the scores are pre determined generally 21 points. The teams that scores 21 points first wins
• Ends – here the score ranges from 15 to 21. The team that reaches the target score first wins
You can either go in for pairs, triples, fours or a single tournament. In bowls, you will always hear the word “green” being spoken. This is nothing but a rectangular play area that is bounded by a ditch and is bifurcated by playing areas called as rinks.
When it comes to the types of delivery, you can opt for the following:
• The Drive – where you apply considerable force to knock the jack
• Yard on or upshot – Here again considerable force is applied to throw off the jack
• Draw shot – Here you need to roll the bowl at a specific location without disturbing other bowls
This game is all about anticipating the move of your opponents. The players flip a coin. The opponent who wins places a mat and rolls the jack to the end of the green and aligns it to the centre. Each player or team take turns roll their bowls towards the jack.
This is definitely a fun loving game, provided you understand the basics of it. If you are serious about bowls, then you can even join clubs that teach and train you on how to play the game effectively.